As a reporting Department to the Chief Financial Officer, the Comptroller’s Department is a team of dedicated professionals who ensure the accuracy of the Port Authority’s finances. As part of the Comptroller’s Department team, you will gain insight and experience surrounding the agency’s financial structure and internal control processes as well as knowledge of the operations of our various lines of business, giving you extensive opportunities for a long-term career at the Port Authority.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Payroll Accounting, the Assistant Manager’s responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Managing and directing management accounting professionals and clerical accountants who are responsible for the direct oversight of a full range of compensation services including direct deposit, tax withholding, timekeeping and retirement system reporting while adhering to internal financial controls.
- Development and implementation of accounting treatment for all Payroll transactions in accordance with governmental regulations; managing reporting requirements related to withholding amounts and various other reports issued to government authorities.
- Ensuring compliance with established organizational and departmental policies and procedures including those relating to Human Resources, Administration and Labor Relations.
- Managing aspects of the PeopleSoft and SAP systems pertaining to Payroll Accounting, including reviewing and reconciling payroll data to ensure accuracy and leveraging SAP functionality to identify and implement productivity and process improvements.
- Ensuring the prompt payment of tax payments, tax returns and annual reporting requirements to the Federal and State Government in addition to providing required tax documents to current and retired employees. Overseeing year-end Payroll functions, including processing and issuing of W-2s.
- Maintaining effective communication with staff at all levels, within and outside of the agency.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Corporate Finance or related field from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible managerial experience in an accounting or corporate finance capacity.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business from an accredited college or university and/or a CPA is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple assignments, meet deadlines, work independently, prioritize work and perform effectively under pressure.
- Demonstrated analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills with a strong understanding of accounting and tax.
- Demonstrated supervisory skills.
- Effective written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with internal staff at all levels and external business partners.
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite application.
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft and SAP.
- Knowledge of the Port Authority accounting and financial structure.
- Knowledge of Port Authority business and operations.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.