The Cloud Engineer will work within the Enterprise Architecture group of the agency’s Technology Department (TEC), responsible for the day-to-day activities as required, and to provide administrative support for our cloud environments. The ideal candidate will have an in-depth knowledge in Microsoft Azure Cloud IaaS/PaaS/SaaS Services.
The successful candidate will work closely with Enterprise Architecture group, as well as with other contractors, and staff resources, of different TEC Units, and Departments throughout the Agency in administration, provision, troubleshooting, monitor, and remediation while delivering work products.
Under the supervision of the Enterprise Architecture Group Solution Architect, the successful candidate is an experienced Azure cloud administrator with solid technical skill sets, to help the agency in provision, configuration, administration and maintenance of existing and new cloud workloads on Azure Cloud. This individual is responsible to ensure the assigned tasks related Azure Cloud are addressed and resolved in a timely manner.
- Create, configure and operate Azure IaaS/PaaS/SaaS cloud resources including but not limited to mentioned below:
- Compute Resources: Windows & Linux Virtual Machines (VMs), Cloud Services, Virtual machine scale sets etc.
- Networking Resources: Virtual Network/Subnet, Load Balancer, Traffic Manager, Application Gateway, VPN Gateway, Network Watcher, Azure DNS, Network Security Group, User Defined Route, Express Route etc.
- Data Storage: Storage, backup, Site Recovery, Managed/Non-managed Disks, SQL Server on VM, Azure SQL, Azure Data Factory etc.
- Security: Security Center, Key Vaults, Resource Locks
- Monitoring / Management Resources: Operation Management Suite / Log Analytics, Advisor, Azure Monitor Application Insight, DevTest, Azure Migrate
- Web Resources: App Services, Application Insight, API Management, notification hub, service bus.
- Providing systems administrative support for Windows and Linux Systems including server and workstation upgrades, server monitoring/administration, user account setup and security administration. Use OMS/SCCM tools as needed.
- Provide support to the application teams. Work closely with technical teams to detect network faults and performance issues and proactively implement monitoring services and alerts to prevent future occurrences.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions. Perform regular backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up and sent off site as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts, distribution list, security groups, etc. per request.
- Perform daily system monitoring, patching, Security Updates, routine cleanups verifying the integrity and availability of all cloud VMs, and key processes using OMS/ SCCM/manually.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Provide support in provisioning and operational tasks of App Services, custom domain, scale up/out, webjobs etc.
- PowerShell & Azure CLI: Provide support in creating, configuring and operating the Azure cloud IaaS resources using PowerShell and Azure Command Line Interface (CLI).
- Prepare and execute the PowerShell script for the provision, operation, and administration purposed tasks.
- Prepare and execute the ARM based JSON Template for the provision, operation and administration purposed tasks.
- Identify and automate the deployment of the standard Virtual Machines using on-premises and Cloud Marketplace images to increase efficiency and lower the human intervention time\error on any related tasks.
- Document and store the scripts to the code repository / Network Shared location.
- Report updates on work progress/impediments/concerns to the manager/supervisor, participate in the team meetings and co-ordinate with the stakeholders as needed.
- Ability to develop Architecture Specification deliverables that map business requirements to solution / technologies.
- Develop documentation including Architecture design, operation guide and Azure Cloud migration guide.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline or equivalent experience from an accredited college or university, or four years’ experience in Azure cloud administration
- Must Have 4 years of hands-on experience with Azure Commercial Cloud Platform on IaaS, PaaS & SaaS in provision, configuration monitoring, troubleshooting and remediation areas
- Have 8 years of Operational and Administrator level experience on Windows and/or Linux Operating System in virtualized environment. Overall 10+ years IT experience
- Must be willing and able to support initiatives occasionally during off hours
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Hands on experience with creation, configuration and operation of Azure IaaS/PaaS/SaaS cloud resources including but not limited to mentioned below:
- Compute: Windows/Linux VM creation via portal/script, using VHD, Market Place Images etc.
- Networking: Virtual Network/Subnet, Load Balancer, Traffic Manager, Application Gateway, VPN Gateway, Network Watcher, Network Security Group, User Defined Route etc.
- Data Storage: Storage, Azure File-Sync, backup, Site Recovery, Managed/Non-managed Disks, SQL Server on VM, Azure SQL, Azure Data Factory etc.
- Security: Security Center, Key Vaults, Resource Locks
- Monitoring / Management Resources: Operation Management Suite / Log Analytics, Advisor, Azure Monitor Application Insight, DevTest, Alerts etc.
- Web and integration Resources: App Services, Application Insight, API Management, notification hub, service bus, Logic apps, Azure Function etc.
- PowerShell, Azure CLI and Azure Template to provide support in creating, configuring and operating the Azure cloud IaaS/PaaS resources using PowerShell and Azure Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Azure Government experience is preferred
- Azure Administrator Associate (Exam AZ-103) Certification is preferred
- Microsoft Azure Integration and Security (Exam AZ – 101) Certification is preferred
- Exposure to DevOps: Azure DevOps, CI/CD pipeline
- System Administration: Windows/Linux Systems Administration
- Knowledge of Microsoft system and application technologies and Active Directory
- Troubleshooting issues, document findings and apply remediation
- Highly motivated, results oriented and carry positive approach
- Good understanding of cloud, hybrid, on-premises, web technologies, concepts
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills incorporated with common wisdom
- Strong organizational & customer service skills
- Excellent English oral, written, and listening communication skills
- An excellent problem-solver, able to quickly grasp complex systems and identify opportunities for improvements and resolution of critical issues
- Collaborate with internal and external users to determine requirements and negotiate with stakeholders to resolve conflicting system needs
- Must be a team player with the ability to work effectively with others supporting Azure and on-premises resources / infrastructure
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.