The Senior Principal Traffic Engineer will oversee the Analysis and Design, Construction and Operations Support, and Technology and Signals groups under the supervision of the Senior Principal Traffic Engineer for Priority Programs. The individual will be leading and managing a team of Port Authority Traffic Engineering and consultant on-site and off-site staff of approximately 50 Full Time Equivalents (FTE). This individual will be responsible for the following Traffic Engineering program services:
- Landside transportation engineering and planning services including conceptual traffic planning, design and analysis
- Transportation Management Plan development and implementation
- Construction and operations traffic support
- Transportation technologies
- Airport Operations Center – Traffic Engineering support
This individual will serve as the technical liaison for all of the Traffic Engineering Services with the Redevelopment Team, Aviation/Facility staff, Master Planning team, Developers, external transportation agencies, and other Senior levels within the Engineering Disciplines and Divisions.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversight for the planning and development of transportation engineering projects with unique complexities within the Program. This oversight ensures that the appropriate exploration of subject areas, along with the definition of scope, selection of areas for investigation, and development of novel concepts is efficiently and effectively carried out by the Traffic Engineering Group.
- Ensuring the effective development of plans and coordination with stakeholders to implement transportation improvement strategies that are delivered by the Traffic Engineering Group.
- Ensure due procedures are followed for reviewing proposals, handling consultant administration, and performing technical reviews/audits of consultant work.
- Ensure that the overall Traffic scope, schedule, and budget are appropriately developed and managed for traffic engineering assignments.
- Provide oversight reviews of all Traffic Deliverables.
This is a long-term Project position associated with JFK Airport Redevelopment . This is expected to last three (3) years with a possible extension. Selected candidate will work on-site full time from Four World Trade Center, NY, NY as well as JFK Airport, Queens depending on project specific needs and meetings.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Requires thirteen (13) years of progressively responsible experience in the Traffic Engineering field, including supervisory and technical experience with major design and Redevelopment Programs, leading and managing large groups of staff.
- Strong technical background in transportation engineering planning, design, operations, safety and construction support.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university.
- Working knowledge of traffic engineering standards and guidelines, including MUTCD, Roadside Design Guide, and Highway Capacity Manual.
- Professional Engineer License (P.E.), preferably in the State of New York or New Jersey.
- A valid driver’s license is required, as the position will require the incumbent to travel independently within Port Authority facilities.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Masters Degree in Transportation Engineering from ABET accredited engineering college or university.
- Possession of certification as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE).
- Demonstrated experience in leadership, problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations. Ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines, with prior experience supervising and managing professional and/or technical staff.
- Experience and ability to work in a fast-paced and intense Program, in a collaborative environment with stakeholders, and make key quick and assertive decisions.
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing the establishment of project plans, setting priorities, coordinating activities, handling multiple tasks simultaneously and delegating tasks and responsibilities that are multi-faceted and complex.
- Strong interpersonal, written/oral communications, and presentations skills commensurate with supervisory responsibilities of this position.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Traffic engineering experience with airport landside systems, including knowledge of landside functions, roadway networks and transportation assets.
- Understanding of the Agency’s Capital Authorization Process and project delivery workflow.
- Proficient in the use of various computer programs, including but not limited to Microsoft Office applications and Traffic Engineering design and analysis applications.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.