The Senior Traffic Engineer will oversee the Transportation Technologies and Signals group under the supervision of the Senior Principal Traffic Engineer for the JFK Redevelopment Program. The individual will be leading and managing a team of Port Authority Traffic Engineering and consultant on-site and off-site staff of approximately 12 Full Time Equivalents (FTE). This individual will be responsible for the strategic vision and direction of Transportation Technology/Signals as well as associated technical elements with the Program, including:
- Development and management of the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Master Plan
- Deployment and management of ITS Roadway Devices
- Inspections of ITS field devices and system connectivity
- Management of ITS Maintenance Contract
- Development and management of traffic signals – analysis, layouts, phasing and timing.
- Development and management of big data predictive analytics and visualization tools
- Development and management of traffic systems engineering and data integration
- Developing innovative technological solutions to address mobility changes
- Staying apprised with evolving and disruptive transportation mobility solutions and technologies, along with the fluid needs of the Program
This individual will serve as the technical liaison for transportation technologies and signals with the Redevelopment team, Aviation/Facility staff, Master Planning team, Developers, external transportation agencies, other Engineering Disciplines and the Resident Engineer’s office.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Planning and development of transportation engineering projects focusing on innovation with unique complexities within the Program. This involves exploration of subject area, definition of scope, selection of areas for investigation, and development of novel concepts.
- Developing a plan and coordinating with stakeholders to implement transportation technologies.
- Reviewing proposals, handling consultant administration, and performing technical reviews/audits of consultant work.
- Overall task scope, schedule, and budget development for traffic engineering assignments and the monitoring task progress.
- Providing technical input to staff and review of transportation technology deliverables. Provide technical input to other subgroups within Traffic Engineering.
This is a long-term Project position associated with JFK Airport Redevelopment . This is expected to last three (3) years with a possible extension. All employees who meet eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply
Selected candidate will work on-site full time from Four World Trade Center, NY, NY as well as JFK Airport, Queens depending on project specific needs and meetings.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Requires seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the Traffic Engineering field, including management, supervisory, and technical experience ranging from small to major design projects.
- Strong technical background and demonstrated experience in planning, design, construction and operations support with analyses, traffic signals, transportation technology devices, big data processing/analytics/engineering, and systems engineering.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university.
- Working knowledge of traffic engineering standards and guidelines, including MUTCD.
- A valid driver’s license is required, as the position will require the incumbent to travel independently within Port Authority facilities.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Professional Engineer License (P.E.), preferably in the State of New York or New Jersey.
- Masters Degree in Transportation Engineering from ABET accredited engineering college or university
- Possession of certification as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE).
- Demonstrated experience in leadership, problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations. Ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines, with experience managing technical staff.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and intense Program, in a collaborative environment with stakeholders, and make key quick and assertive decisions.
- Ability to demonstrate strong conceptualization, analytical capability, problem solving, and decision-making skills from experience in planning, directing, and managing both routine and within large-scale transportation programs and projects.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing project plans, setting priorities, coordinating activities, handling multiple tasks simultaneously and delegating tasks and responsibilities that are multi-faceted and complex.
- Strong interpersonal, written/oral communications, and presentations skills commensurate with supervisory responsibilities of this position.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Traffic engineering experience with airport landside systems, including knowledge of landside functions, roadway networks and transportation assets.
- Understanding of the agency’s Capital Authorization Process and Project Delivery Workflow
- Proficient in the use of various computer programs, including but not limited to Microsoft Office applications and Traffic Engineering design and analysis applications.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.