The Operations Support Manager is a multi-disciplinary project lead for the implementation of department-wide projects and initiatives to drive a highly engaged, performance-driven culture of communication and collaboration for the Aviation Department. The incumbent will lead a series of cross-functional teams to ensure optimal performance and engagement at the department, division, and employee level. This position is a key member of the Aviation’s Director’s Office and has the opportunity to make a major impact in areas including policy, organizational effectiveness, employee and stakeholder engagement, reward and recognition, process improvement, and workforce management. The projects in the incumbent’s portfolio are integral to the department’s ability to deliver on its vision of being a world class operator of world class airports.
Reporting to the Manager, Business Solutions, the Operations Support Manager will lead and deliver key projects in support of the department’s strategic agenda, including:
Workforce & Stakeholder Engagement
Lead a series of projects and working committees aimed at driving significant improvements to engagement among the Aviation workforce and its internal and external stakeholders.
- Align internal reward and recognition programs with best practices and in connection with existing programs, including PA Applause, Shout Out, customer experience reward and recognition, etc.
- Partner closely with the Governance and Customer Experience units to manage communication, coordination, and change management efforts to align Aviation’s workforce to key priorities. Identify best practices to align contractor hiring and workforce management practices to deliver a world class customer experience.
- Develop and lead an engagement council and deliver projects and programs in 2020 and beyond aimed at building workforce engagement and alignment.
- Develop and implement a systematic approach to internal stakeholder engagement, reward, and recognition, with programs to be delivered beginning in 2020.
- Lead and/or support efforts to develop consistent on-boarding practices in alignment with agency efforts to improve the employee experience.
- Work with the Diversity & Inclusion organization to implement programs and initiatives to increase workforce diversity, inclusion, and engagement, including the development of ongoing partnerships with Employee Business Resources Groups to improve the way we do business.
Organizational Management & Effectiveness
- Drive a results-focused performance management program across the Aviation Department, with a consistent approach for developing cascading objectives in alignment with the department’s governance framework and agency priorities. Ensure program compliance, develop and manage a performance improvement program that drives a higher level of organizational performance.
- Manage the Aviation Department mentoring program. Utilize performance, talent review, and other training and workforce data to identify participants and development activities.
- Support the Aviation Talent Committee in driving initiatives that improve the organization’s leadership, technical, and industry expertise.
- Support the Manager in by serving as the project manager for organizational effectiveness and strategic alignment initiatives, including organizational studies, and the execution of a knowledge transfer pilot and framework department-wide implementation.
Redevelopment, Operations / Maintenance & Business Support
- Support the Manager in communication, coordination, and outreach programs and initiatives for airport redevelopment programs. Coordinate workforce development, pipeline, and experiential / immersion programs to engage local communities.
- Support the Manager and Executive Business Manager in position management / budgeting, staffing, and business support necessary for the program management, operations, and maintenance requirements for major redevelopment programs.
- Perform regular workforce and business reporting and data analysis to identify trends, issues, and opportunities for business and performance improvement. Deliver a monthly workforce dashboard for Aviation Senior Staff.
- Work collaboratively with the Business Solutions team to manage a wide range of business, staffing, administrative, training, labor relations, and compliance functions in support of the Aviation Department’s key priorities.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Public Administration, Communications, Human Resources, Aviation, or a related field or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in business, policy, communications, customer experience, human resources, program management, or related business experience in a fast-paced environment.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated leadership ability, with a record of motivating teams and driving toward high performance.
- Ability to develop and implement complex strategic plans that achieve major business goals.
- Demonstrated experience organizing a demanding workload with the ability to work in a high-pressure environment with multiple tasks due in a right timeframe.
- Demonstrated proficiency in effectively persuading, influencing and negotiating with individuals at various levels of the organization to achieve desired outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to establish comprehensive, detailed plans with specific timelines, milestones, and deliverables necessary to meet or exceed project goals.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) along with effective presentation and meeting facilitation skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the organization’s structure, policies, and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the workforce at all levels as well as external constituents and executive-level staff.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.