The Port Authority offers 12-week paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
The Office of Continuous Improvement is looking for a summer intern to join their team! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Development of Federal VALE grant application and NY/NJ Volkswagen Settlement grant applications for charging infrastructure to support electric ground support equipment at PA airports.
- Analyze greenhouse gas and criteria air pollutant emissions associated with construction equipment for PA construction projects and develop recommendations regarding phase-out of older diesel equipment, including analysis of associated cost impacts to stakeholders, commercial availability of alternative-powered equipment, etc.
- Support and facilitate consultant studies to assess use of sustainable aviation fuels at PANYNJ airports.
- Drafting of agency-wide Climate Action Plan to meet Port Authority targets.
- Assist with preparation of annual report to Carbon Disclosure Project.
About the Office of Environemntal & Energy Programs:
Provide leadership, guidance, and accountability with respect to environmental compliance, sustainability, air quality, energy procurement and efficiency, water quality, environmental stewardship, and natural resource and human health protectionImplement a comprehensive sustainability program to advance the goals of the Sustainability Policy and Sustainable Design Policy, including energy conservation and promoting renewable energy, greenhouse gas management, water conservation, and recycling and waste management.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program for the upcoming Fall 2020 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
- Skilled in MS Word, Microsoft excel and management of large dataset.
- Research skills and resourcefulness.
- Ability to reach out to and coordinate with a variety of internal and external partners.
- Self-starter; ability to take initiative to advance projects.
- Knowledge of sustainability principles, understanding of renewable energy and alternative transportation fuels.
About the Program
- Interns have the opportunity to support their departments with critical projects such as analyzing regional demand data for our airports, conducting interview assessments, development of our annual budget, designing sustainability initiatives, and developing operational plans for retail development.
- On the job, learning is supported by networking sessions with senior management, intern meet and greets and facility tours; broadening your understanding of the agency.
How To Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is January 24, 2020; 11:59 p.m. EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: The hiring department/unit conducts interviews in late January and the process will continue until offers are made to selected candidates (February-May).
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin May 28, 2020 and runs until mid-August.
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.