Under the supervision of the Principal Engineer, the successful candidate will manage and work with professional and technical staff, including Port Authority employees and consultants, to provide traffic engineering planning services to the Line Department and Facilities.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in the development project scopes schedule, budget and design criteria, for traffic engineering services.
- Assist in the preparation of conceptual plans and analyses for new capital programs and major improvements to existing vehicular and pedestrian facilities.
- Assist in the development of high-quality traffic analyses, conceptual plans, and order-of-magnitude construction cost estimates to accurately provide client department information for planning and funding of projects. Review with supervisor and Chiefs at different stages of design.
- Conduct, collect, review, record, and disseminate vehicular, pedestrian, and mode-specific passenger traffic volume counts to support traffic data needs of the agency. Means of traffic data collection can include, but is not limited to, conducting ridership surveys, performing manual turning movement counts, utilizing automatic traffic recorders, and analyzing toll data.
- Ensure secure and efficient access to the traffic data for all Traffic groups.
- Perform trip generation, trip distribution, travel mode determination, and traffic assignment in the development and review of functional plan studies, reports, and proposals of work performed for the Port Authority or for tenants of the Port Authority at its facilities to ensure conformance with established traffic planning guidelines. Perform capacity and level of service analyses and assess the future build, no-build and existing conditions. Determine where and when new infrastructure will be required.
- Working closely with line department staff to provide comprehensive functional planning input for capital program projects.
- Managing and auditing work and studies performed by consultants.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering, from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of two years of experience in progressively more difficult and responsible traffic engineering work.
- Experience must include work in traffic signal system design, traffic safety, traffic planning, traffic operations, or traffic ITS.
- Possess a valid auto driver license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering, from an accredited college or university.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; experience with CAD, GIS, and databases.
- Ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments, with prior experience supervising professional and/or technical staff.
- Possess Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certificate.
- Proficiency and effectiveness in written and oral communication skills.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.