Reporting to a Principal Engineer of Electrical Engineering, the Engineer will be responsible for the preparation of electrical engineering studies, contract drawings, technical specifications and construction cost estimates; evaluate project scopes, develop design criteria, budgets for design services, and design schedules.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepare preliminary and detailed estimates, design criteria for new construction of electrical projects and designs for the alteration of existing structures and utility systems. Review criteria including tolerances, dimensions, shapes and sizes, and determines the properties required in materials and feasible construction methods.
- Development of preliminary conceptual design work and planning for Capital Projects and Major Work Programs. Provide the Client Department with design alternatives and associated cost, for future planning and funding of projects.
- Preparation of Contract Documents consisting of drawings, technical specifications, construction cost estimates, and purchase orders. Produce biddable and constructible Contract Documents to meet the requirements of the Client Department within time schedules and budgets.
- Performs engineering design, including technical analysis and associated economic studies and make recommendations. Ensure technical integrity, safety, efficient operation, maintainability and sound economics of the projects.
- Ensures that projects are coordinated with other disciplines, Line Department facilities and outside entities (manufacturer’s representatives, utilities consulting engineers and contractors). Minimize disruption of normal facility operations.
- Maintain knowledge of State-of-the-Art technology and equipment such as power distribution systems, microprocessor based control systems, computed assisted design (CAD), specialized systems such as Lighting, Fire, Security, UPS, variable speed drives, fiber optics, etc.
- Ensure that P.A. facilities are designed in accordance with the most advance technology available.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience in professional engineering work with principal experience in electrical systems design and specification writing for commercial and industrial facilities.
- Design experience must include electrical systems, underground power distribution systems, low voltage power distribution systems, lighting systems, electrical calculations such as equipment sizing, short circuit, voltage drop, load studies, etc., preparation of contract drawings, coordination of technical specifications with contract drawings and construction cost estimating.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Experience in electrical systems design, underground power distribution systems, low voltage power distribution systems, electric motors and controls, lighting and communication systems.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Electrical CAD design software.
- Working knowledge of electrical codes and standards.
- Experience in performing electrical calculations such as equipment sizing, short circuit, voltage drop, load studies, etc.
- Proficiency in preparing contract drawings such as power distribution one-lines, riser and interconnection diagrams, equipment layouts, plans, sections, details, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and prioritize as required.
- Proficient in the use of software applications, such as Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines
- Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.