The Aviation division of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey (PA) seeks an experienced, energetic, strategic, innovative and results-oriented leader to fill a critical position in the Aviation Department’s Customer Experience and Concessions team. Reporting to the Aviation Customer Experience Officer, the Manager, Airport Concessions & Strategic Customer Experience will lead and oversee the implementation of an enterprise-wide airport concessions strategy that provides a differentiated, world-class experience to the millions of travelers who use the PA’s airport system.
The Manager, Airport Concessions & Strategic Customer Experience will be responsible for department-wide coordination of business strategies that achieve concessions, customer experience, and non-aeronautical revenue goals, overseeing a team that brings innovation, collaboration, creativity, and problem solving to the customer experience at 14 terminals across Newark Liberty (EWR), John F. Kennedy (JFK), LaGuardia (LGA) and New York Stewart Airports (SWF).
The Manager, Airport Concessions & Strategic Customer Experience will be based out of World Trade Center but will be required to travel throughout the EWR, LGA, JFK and SWF as needed.
- Airport Concessions Strategy: Lead strategy development for an airport-wide concessions program to drive a world-class customer experience. Develop and implement strategies and programs with airline partners and concession developers that increase revenues and result in concession concepts that meet or exceed customers’ expectations and discretionary needs. Ensure that customer choice and satisfaction are met through the variety, price and location of concessions.
- Concessions Program Management: Oversee the management of concession programs across all airports, including preparation of lease documents, privilege permits, consents, and other agreements in accordance with property management policies and procedures. Oversee the management, administration, and execution of agreements with tenants and subtenants. Monitor industry best practices and participate in Aviation industry surveys of domestic/international airports to better assess the overall performance of the PA concessions programs and to implement new concepts that improve offerings consistent with customer experience initiatives and revenue goals.
- Customer Satisfaction: Drive significant improvements in ASQ performance metrics related to shopping, retail, and value for money. Maintain a customer experience orientation at all organizational levels and in all activities by working collaboratively to represent the customer point of view to internal and external stakeholders. Work collaboratively with terminal operators and concessionaires to review survey and mystery shopping scores and identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Strategic Partnerships and Relationship Management: Build and manage strategic relationships and partnerships with concessionaires, terminal operators, and other airport partners, with a focus on business development, partnering to drive a world-class customer experience, and increasing non-aeronautical revenue. Maintain regular contact and open communication with concessions partners to achieve better synergies and ensure collaboration in creating a modern airport experience, including customer service events, promotional activities, experiential marketing and seasonal sales.
- Leadership: Provide leadership over a team of 4 concessions management professionals. Develop, manage, and coach staff toward high individual and team performance. Provide vision and leadership with internal and external stakeholders in the advancement of a comprehensive concession’s strategy.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- At minimum of ten (10) years of experience in leading/managing concessions programs, or related leadership experience in the hospitality, customer experience or marketing/ communications or related industries
- Experience negotiating and administering concession contracts where you have effectively persuaded, influenced and negotiated with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Experience in developing complex, enterprise-level strategies and implementation plans to meet goals, improve processes, and achieve business innovation
- Demonstrated leadership capability, with the ability to manage, develop and motivate staff
- Ability to travel to and from all four (4) commercial airports: EWR, LGA, JFK and SWF (as needed)
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in marketing/communications, aviation, or a related industry
- Experience in leading a concessions or customer service function in an aviation or transportation organization
- Demonstrated success in navigating a complex organization’s structure, policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate collaboration, teamwork, and creativity to solve problems in a cross-functional, multi-disciplinary environment
- Demonstrated experience organizing a demanding workload with the ability to work in a high pressure environment with multiple tasks due in a tight timeframe
- Demonstrated ability to establish comprehensive, detailed plans with specific timelines, milestones, and deliverables necessary to meet or exceed project goals
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical and decision making skills
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Work for one of the world’s most vital and vibrant operations of transportation network! We want dynamic candidates who have a clear interest in a career in public service and show a passion for all areas of aviation/airport management.
In February 2019, the Port Authority handled a projected 9.31 million passengers at its four commercial airports – John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia and New York Stewart International airports – the highest total ever achieved in the month of February, surpassing the previous monthly record set in February 2018. The record aviation passenger volume was driven by record passengers at Newark Liberty International and LaGuardia airports, and record international travel at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
To accommodate future airport demand, the Port Authority and its private airport partners have committed an unprecedented $28 billion – the most in agency history – to maintain and build new airport facilities across the system. The level of investment illustrates the Port Authority’s aggressive commitment to creating a network of state-of-the art airport facilities.
- At LaGuardia, an $8 billion rebuilding of the legacy airport is in progress, and in December, the first new concourse in Terminal B opened to the public.
- At Newark Liberty, ground was broken in October for a new Terminal One that will replace the aging and obsolete Terminal A.
- At JFK, Governor Cuomo announced in October a $13 billion project to rebuild the airport, including the addition of 4 million square feet to the airport’s north and south sides to increase airport capacity by at least 15 million passengers annually. The first new gates of the redeveloped terminal are scheduled to open in 2023 with projected completion in 2025.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.