The Aviation Department of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is seeking a high energy leader who has a career of demonstrated strong communication, strong airport landside operations planning & execution skills, has a passion for excellence and understands the value of people to lead the LaGuardia Airport Landside Operations team. This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to lead change balanced with a keen focus on the customer experience, navigating in an ever changing work environment, achieving financials and driving innovation in taking the Landside operation to top tier ranking in Industry Customer Experience metrics.
The Manager, Landside Operations & Customer Service will lead a diverse team of management, field supervisory and clerical staff performing landside operations, customer service, operations and support functions at LGA. You will sustain and elevate the customer experience programs, support airport redevelopment programs and continue training preparedness for airport emergencies to ensure a safe, secure and efficient landside operation. You will demonstrate an innovative strategy and be a champion of change in all facets of Landside Operations at one of the nation’s leading domestic gateway and the primary business airport for NYC!
Under the direction of the Manager, Airport Operations Division, the Manager, Landside Operations & Customer Service will be responsible for:
- Direct all aspects of the airport’s landside operations through the management of PA staff and multi-million dollar contracts including airport and multi-airport contracts and associated initiatives related to the airport’s Customer Service/Ground Transportation Program, Airport Taxi Dispatch Operation, Revenue Control System (RCS) Maintenance, Airport Parking Lots Operation, Bus Transportation Program, Traffic Management, Homeless Outreach, Airport Baggage Carts, Airport Community Events and Customer Communication.
- Lead all efforts in coordination with terminal operators to drive safe, efficient and effective terminal operation while creating a positive customer experience.
- Develop, implement, and ensure training proficiency and readiness related to landside emergency operating plans for snow and ice removal operations, Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and Airport Operations Center (AOC) operations, and other irregular operations.
- Coordinate with various internal/external stakeholders, such as Maintenance, Traffic Engineering, Redevelopment, Resident Engineers Office, Procurement, Law, Properties, Audit and the Port Authority Police, Terminal Operators, air carriers, state and local transportation and government agencies, Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), Taxi and Limousine Commissionto drive a positive customer experience.
- Organize and execute the airport employee recognition program.
- Prepare and manage the landside units’ annual budgets and monthly expense variances.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aviation, Planning, Transportation, Engineering, Public Administration or related field from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of ten (10) years' work experience in an aviation, transportation, operations, or related business field
- Minimum of five (5) years in a managerial capacity
- Ability to report to work expeditiously in response to airport emergencies, inclusive of snow emergencies, 24 hours per day, seven days per week
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s Degree in Aviation, Planning, Transportation, Engineering or related field
- Knowledge of DHS, FAA, and airline regulations
- Demonstrated leadership capability, with the ability to manage, develop, and motivate diverse teams to perform at their highest level
- Experience in delivering customer service and customer communication programs in any transportation-related, high operational tempo environment, or equivalent consumer volume
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with all levels of internal and external stakeholders including air carriers, tenants, vendors, and third party contractors
- Demonstrated problem-solving analysis and decision-making skills
- Thorough knowledge of procurement processes and experience in preparing, negotiating and managing multiple Operations and Maintenance (O&M) service contracts and programs.
- Working knowledge of airport terminals and landside operations
- Knowledge of administrative policies and procedures, including those related to administration, budgeting, human capital recruitment, and business planning
- Demonstrated successful negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong, proven, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop contingency operational plans for landside services to mitigate the impact of construction and to achieve departmental business goals
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
During 2018, the Port Authority handled a projected 137.9 million passengers at its four commercial airports – John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia and New York Stewart International airports—an increase of 3.8 percent over 2017’s previous record high. Newark Liberty reported a 6.3 percent annual increase, JFK reported a 2.5 percent increase and LaGuardia saw its annual passenger volume rise by 2.3 percent. New York Stewart reported a 44.2 percent surge in traffic, driven in part by new, low-cost nonstop service offered by Norwegian Air to destinations overseas.
To accommodate future airport demand, the Port Authority and its private airport partners have committed an unprecedented $28 billion – the most in agency history – to maintain and build new airport facilities across the system. The level of investment illustrates the Port Authority’s aggressive commitment to creating a network of state-of-the art airport facilities.
- At LaGuardia, an $8 billion rebuilding of the legacy airport is in progress, and in December, the first new concourse in Terminal B opened to the public
- At Newark Liberty, ground was broken in October for a new Terminal One that will replace the aging and obsolete Terminal A
- At JFK, Governor Cuomo announced in October a $13 billion project to rebuild the airport, including the addition of 4 million square feet to the airport’s north and south sides to increase airport capacity by at least 15 million passengers annually. The first new gates of the redeveloped terminal are scheduled to open in 2023 with projected completion in 2025
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.