Under the direct Supervision of the Supervisor, Construction and Fire Safety, the selected candidate will perform responsible technical duties essential to ensuring that contractors are conducting activities in compliance with federal, state and local safety and fire safety regulations therefore eliminating hazardous practices and conditions, and ensuring fire safety programs and standards are properly adhered to at Port Authority and PATH constructions sites including but not limited to major construction projects at the LaGuardia Airport, Bayonne Bridge, Goethals’s Bridge, JFK, PATH, GWB and the WTC.
The Construction Safety/Fire Protection Specialist will be responsible for:
- Ensuring OSHA, FDNY, and NYCDOB specified or accepted safety procedures are followed by construction contractors.
- Evaluating from a safety engineering viewpoint the overall conduct, effectiveness, and efficiency of Port Authority construction safety programs and reporting findings and recommendations for construction work at various Port Authority/PATH facilities.
- Investigating construction incidents and accidents, determining causes and making recommendations to prevent recurrences, providing professional and technical advice and assistance to other departments on issues relating to accident prevention.
- Conduct fire loss prevention, planning, studying and analyzing and reporting on assigned projects and work with representatives of Port Authority units, Port Authority tenants, and external agencies.
- Interact with Port Authority insurance brokers, and underwriters and loss control representatives.
- As necessary, respond to emergencies, incidents and crises at all facilities 24-7-365 to provide construction safety and fire protection expertise.
- The position requires frequent travel, in all types of weather, to all Port Authority facilities and working hours that include early morning, late evening and weekend shifts to respond to emergencies and safety related events. The Agency Safety Management group also supports the Port Authority Emergency Operations Center (PAEOC) and because of this organizational responsibility when the PAEOC is activated there is a requirement for this position to work twelve hour shifts during the day and overnight depending on circumstances
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
Three to five years’ experience in construction safety and fire protection conducting investigations and accident prevention at construction sites.
- The successful candidate will also be subject to a comprehensive ten-year plus background check, must pass a fingerprint based criminal history records check (49 CFR 1542.209) in order to obtain an airport Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) credential. The candidate must be able to maintain SIDA credentials throughout your employment in this position. This hyperlink details the Security Identification Display Area application form for JFK International Airport, which details the application process and disqualifying crimes.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED from an accredited institution.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Some college credits with courses in Construction Management, Construction Safety, Fire Protection, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of OSHA Construction Industry Regulations and Safety Programs and NYCDOB Regulations.
- Familiarity with National Fire Codes, NFPA standards, NYC Fire Codes, Rules of the City of NY and FDNY operations and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze incident and accident reports and conduct investigations to determine causes.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with OSHA and FDNY inspectors, construction inspectors, construction management and safety personnel and to work effectively with contractors.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively evaluate contractor construction safety and fire safety programs and to make technical recommendations based upon findings.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to work overtime and be available on call.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Excellent oral and communication skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
The successful candidates will be subject to a comprehensive background check, must pass a fingerprint based criminal history records check in order to obtain an airport Security Identification Display (SIDA) credential. The candidate must be able to maintain the SIDA credentials throughout their employment in the position.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is a bi-state public agency operating some of the busiest and most important transportation links in the New York/New Jersey region including The Port Authority Trans Hudson Corporation (PATH), the primary transit link between Manhattan and New Jersey communities and suburban commuter railroads.
We currently have two openings for a Construction Safety/Fire Protection Specialist. This is a project position offering benefits.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.