Under the supervision of the Principal Traffic Engineer, the successful candidate will supervise professional and technical staff, including Port Authority employees and consultants, in the preparation of traffic engineering planning studies, traffic operations studies, safety studies, contract drawings, specifications and cost estimates.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop, review, and/or manage traffic-related scopes of work, budgets, and schedules for roadway design projects, rehabilitation projects, or work orders; prepare contract drawings, technical specifications and cost estimates; prepare Traffic Management plans and Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) documents; audit traffic engineering design documents prepared by consultants.
- Apply knowledge of traffic operations concepts of traffic control devices, traffic signal systems, temporary traffic control zones, access management, transportation systems management, traffic ITS, and roadway inventory data management/asset management, to assess traffic flow, capacity, control, and guidance issues and design appropriate countermeasures.
- Apply knowledge of traffic safety concepts of crash site analysis, crash data analysis, road safety auditing, speed management, countermeasure development, and countermeasure effectiveness evaluation, to prepare and/or review safety studies, reports, and conceptual design sketches.
- Apply knowledge of traffic planning concepts of data collection, capacity analysis, geometric design, traffic forecasting, traffic modeling and simulation, and trip assignments, to prepare and/or review planning studies, reports, and functional design plans.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in progressively more difficult and responsible traffic engineering work.
- Experience must include work in traffic signal system design, traffic safety, traffic planning, traffic operations, or traffic ITS.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering, from an accredited college or university.
- Possess Engineer-in-Training (EIT) Certificate
- Possess a valid auto driver license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments, with prior experience supervising professional and/or technical staff.
- Possession of a Master’s Degree in Transportation.
- Possession of a license as a Professional Engineer in New York or New Jersey or the ability to obtain licensure via reciprocity
- Possession of certification as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE).
- Proficiency and effectiveness in written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with CAD, GIS, and databases.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.