The Port Authority offers 12-week paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency
The Office of Continuous Improvement department is looking for a summer intern to join their team! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- We are seeking a graduate summer intern to help the Office continue to build on its continuous improvement capabilities and toolkit.
- The selected candidate will provide support across the Authority's various business functions.
- Assisting with the identification, development, implementation, and tracking of continuous improvement initiatives
- Collaborating with staff and line departments on data collection, data analysis, and/or workshop facilitation
- Preparing reports and/or presentations based on findings from data analyses and/or workshops.
- Past intern projects include developing a customer sentiment analysis of call center and other customer survey outputs, analyzing data from a multi-year survey for one of our facilities, building and implementing an intercept customer experience survey, and collecting and analyzing data on airport security lines.
The Office of Continuous Improvement (OCI) improves productivity, reduces cost, generates revenue, improves customer experience, and fosters innovation. It identifies and implements improvements to enhance customer experience, business processes, operations, maintenance, and capital deployment.
Priorities include:Improve productivity and organizational efficiency, and reduce costs, enhance customer experience, build a culture that fosters innovation, collaboration, and accountability, institutionalize continuous improvement mindset and practices
- Students must be enrolled in an graduate program for the upcoming Fall 2019 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
- Strong analytical skills and a desire to develop them further while also sharing best practices and analysis tools and techniques with teammates
- An interest and/or experience in any of the following fields: lean management, design thinking and service design, change management and industrial psychology, and data analytics
About the Program
- Interns have the opportunity to support their departments with critical projects such as analyzing regional demand data for our airports, conducting interview assessments, development of our annual budget, designing sustainability initiatives, and developing operational plans for retail development.
- On the job, learning is supported by networking sessions with senior management, intern meet and greets and facility tours; broadening your understanding of the agency.
How To Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is January 21 2019; 11:59 p.m. EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: The hiring department/unit conducts interviews in late January and the process will continue until offers are made to selected candidates (February-April).
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin May 30, 2019 and runs until mid-August.
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.