Work for one of the world’s most vital and vibrant operations of transportation network! We want dynamic candidates who have a clear interest in a career in public service and show a passion for all areas of aviation/airport management. The Assistant Manager, Airside Operations will be expected to lead an innovative team that maintains and elevates the level of airside customer service and community outreach at JFK, while ensuring a safe, secure and efficient airside operation. JFK, the busiest airport in the NYC metropolitan area and one of the world’s leading international gateways, awaits YOU!
Reporting to the Manager, Airside Operations, the Assistant Manager, Airside Operations will:
- Develop, motivate, and sustain a highly qualified unit, comprised of clerical and field staff
- Elevate customer service programs
- Support the JFK Redevelopment program
- Maintain training preparedness for airport emergencies
- Ensure airport operations and infrastructure comply with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and security, department, and agency policies, as well as to deliver all aeronautical services with the highest level of customer service.
- Lead the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure FAR Part 139 compliance and manage the timely process of identifying, addressing, and correcting Part 139 deficiencies, whether observed by Port Authority or FAA
- Provide supervision, direction, and guidance to the Chief Operations Supervisor (FS-9) for the execution of routine responsibilities including airport operations, staffing and training
- Support and track compliance status for Wildlife (USDA) maintenance and ensure safe and efficient airport operations
- Participate and lead in the planning and coordination of airport construction activities impacting aeronautical operations (i.e. offer FAA advisory circular design guidance, etc.)
- Ensures airport community awareness of aeronautical construction activities as well as the associated runway and taxiway closures
- Manage the development, submission and receipt of FAA approval of Construction Safety and Phasing Plans
- Collaborate with Port Authority staff, including Aviation Planning, Aviation Technical Services, Project Management, and Engineering to plan, develop, and implement aeronautical delay reduction enhancements
- When necessary, responds to the Incident Command Post for VIP movements and major aeronautical incidents and liaises with the Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- Assist in implementing productivity/progress improvements that increase revenues, process efficiency, customer service, and/or reduce costs
- Develop, implement and maintain regularly scheduled communication channels with airport stakeholders including airlines, tenants, FAA Air Traffic, and FAA Technical Operations
- Represent JFK Airport Operations at KAAMCO Ground Operations, FAA Customer Forums, Runway Safety Action Team (RSAT), Chief Pilots, Surface Management Working Group, NYC Wildlife Task Force, and other community and industry meetings
- Prepare and manage the Aeronautical Operations Unit budget
- Manage General Aviation Terminal (GAT) operations including UN General Assembly procedures and enforcing the day-to-day Fixed Base Operator (FBO) procedures in accordance with the FBO lease
- Identify problems and institutes new methodologies for general and contract management
- Supervise and administer a diverse union workforce including, but not limited to, scheduling, absence control, discipline, motivation, problem resolution, labor relation issues, training requirements, human resource matters, and managing and reporting the unit’s performance measures
- Required to work special events, emergencies, construction projects and/or weather related events (i.e. all snow events), outside of normal working hours, inclusive of nighttime 12-hour shifts
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in:
- Leading an operations team related to airside operations or regulated personnel training programs
- Coordinating the logistics and administration of an airside operation with at least one year in a managerial capacity
- Pass a criminal history records check, as mandated by 49 CFR Part 1542, and to meet all requirements necessary to obtain and maintain a Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) Card credential with airfield Movement Area Driving and Escort Privileges
- Ability to report to work expeditiously in response to airport emergencies, inclusive of snow emergencies, 24 hours per day, seven days per week
- Possess a valid driver’s license
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s Degree in Aviation, Planning, Transportation, or Engineering field
- Knowledge of DHS, FAA, and airline regulations
- Demonstrated knowledge of incident command systems, emergency management response, and emergency preparedness
- Familiarity and experience with complex aeronautical construction projects
- Experience in managing relationships among airport stakeholders including airlines, Chief Pilots, FAA Air Traffic, FAA Technical Operations, and Terminal Operators
- Knowledge of procurement processes and experience in preparing, negotiating and managing multiple Operations and Maintenance (O&M) service contracts and programs
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with Port Authority policies and procedures
- Experience in delivering customer service and customer communication programs in any transportation-related, high operational tempo environment, or equivalent consumer volume
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with all levels of internal and external stakeholders including air carriers, tenants, vendors, and third party contractors
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of NY & NJ builds, operates, and maintains critical transportation and trade assets. Its networks of aviation, rail, surface transportation and seaport facilities annually moves millions of people and transports vital cargo through the New York/New Jersey region. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, home to the iconic One World Trade Center.
The Port Authority of NY & NJ operates one of the world’s busiest airport system – John F. Kennedy International (JFK), Newark Liberty International (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA), New York Stewart International (SWF) and Teterboro (TEB) airports. Our airports produce revenues of $2.4 billion and are staffed by more than 1,500 aviation professionals.
The mission of the Aviation department is to plan, develop, provide, promote, operate and maintain a unified system of safe and secure regional airport facilities, providing the region with unsurpassed global access and restoring the region to its preeminent status as the nation’s gateway for passengers and cargo and to do so with sensitively for the community and the environment.
The agency’s airports handled more than 130 million passengers and 2 million tons of cargo.
- LaGuardia Airport is one of the nation’s leading domestic gateway and is the primary business airport for NYC https://www.laguardiacentral.com/
- Newark Liberty International is among the busiest international and North American airports https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/
- John F. Kennedy International is the busiest airport in the NYC metropolitan area and one of the world’s leading international gateways https://www.ny.gov/programs/transforming-jfk-airport
- New York Stewart International is located less than 60 miles from Manhattan and is convenient alternative to the NYC metropolitan region’s airports
Join our Talent Network: www.JoinThePortAuthority.com
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.