The Port Authority of NY & NJ is looking for career-minded individuals with a passion and commitment to public service to join our distinguished rotational program for graduate students who expect to receive their degree in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019. This is your chance to join the Port Authority as we connect the region in new ways for generations to come.
If you have ever flown out of JFK, biked across the George Washington Bridge, or captured that perfect picture of the World Trade Center, then you have witnessed just some of what the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey does. We run some of the busiest and most critical transportation facilities in New York-New Jersey metropolitan region. It takes a dedicated team of over a thousand men and women to operate these facilities safely, efficiently, and with a high standard of customer service. Our nearly 8,000 employees are committed to the work they do – work that moves millions of people and supports billions of dollars in economic activity each year.
About the Program:
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s Leadership Fellows Program is a distinguished program for graduate students who expect to receive their degree in Fall 2018 or Spring 2019.
- The Leadership Fellows Program is a two-year rotational program that offers on-the-job experience in approximately four different business functions. Leadership Fellows have an opportunity to explore many different areas such as operations, finance, transportation, human resources, etc. The Leadership Fellows Program is designed to build a strong foundation of business acumen, adaptability, and knowledge of the Port Authority as a whole.
- Past Leadership Fellows have contributed to key regional capital programs, learned the nuts and bolts of policy development, and managed the challenges of daily operations at our transportation facilities. The breadth and depth of these experiences are critical in preparing Leadership Fellows to be future leaders within the agency.
- Leadership Fellows are presented with a variety of developmental opportunities that range from one-on-one coaching to structured mentoring and various targeted training programs.
- After successful completion of the program, Leadership Fellows will be considered for key positions in areas such as policy analysis, finance, capital programs, or related business functions.
- Leadership Fellows are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience.
- The selection process for the program is highly rigorous and consists of multiple rounds of interviews, including a qualitative interview, a competency-based panel interview, and multiple assessment exercises.
- Students graduating with a graduate degree in fall 2018 or spring 2019 are eligible to participate in the Program.
- Candidates should possess a record of academic achievement in the areas of public administration, business administration, public policy, urban planning, public finance, economics, transportation management, or a related discipline.
- Candidates must have a clear interest in a career in public service management
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent problem solving, analytical, quantitative, written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation and political acumen.
- Candidates must be flexible and enthusiastic about experiencing all the Port Authority has to offer, including areas that are not necessarily aligned with their professional backgrounds.
- At least one year of work experience and/or internships in public service, transportation, government, or related fields is preferred
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
To apply, candidates should click on the Apply Now button and complete the application workflow.
Applicants should take care to ensure the system accurately records all of their education and employment history and that they have uploaded their answers to the essay questions during Step 6.
The deadline to apply is Monday, November 26, 2018 at 11:59pm EST.
- Timeline: First-round interviews for the Program will begin in January. Second-round interviews will take place in February. Final selections and offers to selected candidates will be made in March. Our 2018 Leadership Fellows cohort will begin in July. This timeline is subject to change.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the both of the essay questions below in one document.
- Please ensure that you upload one document containing both answers to the required essay questions on Step 6 of the application.
- Each essay response cannot exceed 250 words. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Applications that do not include a resume and an essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
- As part of our interview process, your essay will be evaluated for further candidacy consideration.
- Describe how you have used your leadership abilities to promote a positive culture in your school or organization.
- If you were presented with an opportunity to work in a managerial/leadership capacity at your school or organization, what steps would you take and what skills would you apply in developing others?
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.