Reporting to the Chief and Deputy Chief of Construction, and under the direct supervision of the Senior Engineer of Construction (EOC), the Resident Engineer (RE) will be responsible for the successful management and delivery of substantial components of project scope related to the LaGuardia Redevelopment Program. This position will be located at LaGuardia Airport, Queens, NY.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Direct and supervise a staff of engineers, construction managers, inspectors and administrators.
- Coordinate daily contractor activities for multiple projects to ensure successful completion within budget & schedule. Assure construction methods are properly coordinated with Facility Operations and are performed with minimal operational disruption and in a safe manner.
- Work closely with project, construction management, contractor personnel, and other stakeholders to ensure that the installation of complex structural and architectural systems, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems are successfully coordinated and completed.
- Investigating/resolve construction issues and determining the need for extra work.
- Support negotiations and change order resolution to ensure timely progression of work.
- Review and approve contractor payment applications and ensure that construction is performed in accordance with all approved plans, shop drawings and specifications.
- Ensure that all non-conformances/punch list items are satisfactorily addressed and that final inspections are conducted for completed portions of work and that permits to occupy are issued.
- Follow and enforce Construction Management Division’s administrative procedures and policies, LGA Aviation Tenant Construction Alteration Procedure (TCAP) manual and requirements and provisions of work for the LGA Redevelopment Program.
- Represent the Engineer of Construction during their absence in facilitating office correspondence, including, but not limited to, contract changes, approving contractors’ work and verifying payment applications, reviewing daily narratives and special inspection reports, and other contract requirements as needed in support of the LGA Redevelopment Program.
- Report regularly on construction project status to the Engineer of Construction and Executive staff members.
- Mentoring and training staff to successfully achieve Engineering Department’s business objectives
Applicant will be required to be fingerprinted and must be able to pass a background check and obtain a SIDA card per this Facility’s security requirement.
The Port Authority’s Engineering Department is responsible for the delivery of high-quality and cost-effective architectural and engineering, planning, design and construction management services in support of the agency’s capital and operating programs at all Port Authority facilities.
The Construction Management Division (CMD) of the Engineering Department provides construction management, contract administration services and materials testing to assure construction projects are completed in accordance with the contract documents, budget and schedule at Port Authority facilities.
This is a project position.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture, or a related technical discipline from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively more responsible experience in project and construction management, including progressively more responsible supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience in construction, architecture, mechanical, electrical or civil/structural engineering, including the maintenance of project plans, setting priorities and incorporating facility operations and security requirements into project plans.
- Proven ability to manage projects of similar size, complexity and risk and effectively utilize limited available resources to achieve complex goals.
- Demonstrated experience managing a staff of Engineers and Construction professionals.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated experience with building construction industry in the City of New York, as well as all applicable jurisdictional building codes (i.e., building codes of the City of New York and OSHA).
- Demonstrated knowledge of established PA procedures and processes including, but not limited to project and construction management, the Tenant Construction Alteration Procedure (TCAP) process, financial systems, and document control.
- Excellent decision making, problem solving, conflict resolution and communication skills.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including report preparation.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated experience interacting with executive management, construction professionals and interacting with multiple governmental agencies within and outside the Port Authority.
- Ability to motivate and develop staff and project teams.
- Demonstrated experience of monitoring actual expenditures and schedules against budgets and forecasts.
- Demonstrated experience supervising and coordinating construction projects at active facilities.
- Demonstrated experience managing a team of consultants.
- Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of construction strategies, processes and procedures.
- Registered Professional Engineer or registered Architect in New York or New Jersey and/or Certified Construction Manager certification (CCM) is desired.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.