This job posting is no longer active.
Reporting to a Principal Engineer of Electrical Engineering, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the design of electronic systems and communications systems and supervising technical staff and consultants in the preparation of engineering studies, master plans, preliminary and detailed system designs, design/build technical parameters and other design/build RFP documents, contract drawings, technical specifications and construction cost estimates; evaluate project scopes, develop design criteria, produce budgets and schedules for engineering design services; specify and review system acceptance and commissioning test plans; provide technical advice and assistance to facility and other PA personnel in matters related to electronics and communications engineering; audit electronics and communications engineering designs performed by consultants; lead project teams in the preparation of designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
Electronics and Communications systems are stand-alone or integration of multiple systems deployed via networked architectures. Systems generally include Integrated Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV), Integrated Security including Access Control and
Intrusion Detection, Analog Communications including fiber optics, Digital communications with various protocols and networking, Public Address and Visual Paging, and Alarm/Control systems.
Radio systems include Land/Mobile Radio, In-Building Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS), Dispatch Console Systems, Simulcast Radio Systems, Digital Trunked Radio Systems, as well as commercial and unlicensed wireless communication systems.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Leading multidisciplinary project teams in the preparation of engineering designs and contracts including preparation of RFP documents, proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Prepare preliminary and detailed estimates, design criteria for new construction of Electronics and communications projects and designs for the alteration of existing electronics equipment and systems. Review criteria including tolerances, dimensions, shapes and sizes, and determines the properties required in materials and feasible construction methods.
- Development of master plans, preliminary conceptual design work and planning for Capital Projects and Major Work Programs. Provide the Client Department with design alternatives and associated cost for future planning and funding of projects. Preparation of Contract Documents consisting of drawings, technical specifications, construction cost estimates, and purchase orders. Produce biddable and constructible Contract Documents to meet the requirements of the Client Department within agreed upon time schedules and budgets.
- Instructs consultants, lower level engineers and CAD personnel in the preparation of engineering drawings, specifications, estimates, and contractual elements of design. Reviews the writing of specifications for material, equipment and construction methods and standards. Investigates and makes recommendations on the type, terms and conditions of construction contracts.
- Confers with facility personnel and other departments on suggested revisions in contract provisions and material specifications and incorporates improvements in final
- contracts. Answers questions of bidders regarding contract provisions. Estimates material, equipment and labor requirements and the cost of construction and major maintenance work.
- Performs detailed system design, including technical analysis and associated economic studies and make recommendations. Ensure technical integrity, safety, efficient operation, maintainability and sound economics of the projects.
- Ensures that projects are coordinated with other disciplines, Line Department facilities and outside entities (manufacturer’s representatives, other agencies’ engineers). Minimize disruption of normal facility operations.
- Preparation of scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants. Audit consultant’s design and progress. Ensure that consultant’s design conforms to scope of work, codes, P.A. standards and cost is kept within budget. Provide technical assistance to facilities. Ensure safe and reliable operation of facilities.
- Maintain knowledge of State-of-the-Art technology and equipment in all relevant electronics and communications systems.
- Ensure that P.A. facilities are designed in accordance with the most advanced and appropriate technology available.
- Participate in field commissioning, testing including startup and troubleshooting of Electronic and Communications systems. Ensure technical integrity, contract compliance safety, efficient operation, maintainability, and minimum downtime of the systems
- Provide effective guidance and supervision to assigned professional and technical staff. Review staff, implement development plans, and provide or arrange training of assigned staff.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university with sufficient exposure to Industrial Electronics and communications systems.
- A minimum of eleven (11) years experience in professional engineering work with principal experience in Electronic and Communications systems design and specification writing for commercial and industrial facilities.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of New York or New Jersey
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Demonstrated design experience must include projects with multiple systems with networked architectures, IntegratedRelevant reliability and sizing calculations, preparation of contractual documents with drawings, specifications and construction estimates.
- Prior experience supervising professional and technical staff.
- Demonstrated and working knowledge of electrical codes and standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work efficiently, independently (with direct reports) and prioritize as required. Proficient in the use of software applications, such as Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated experience in leading project teams in the preparation of engineering designs including preparation of proposals, design coordination, schedule reporting, budget reporting and briefing senior staff.
- Experience in preparing scope of work and design criteria for all projects involving consultants and auditing of consultant’s design and progress.
- Demonstrated experience in large complex electronics and communication system designs as indicated above.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.