The Principal Business Manager is a key member of the JFK senior management team and supports the General Manager (GM) and Deputy General Manager (DGM) in managing the day-to-day administrative operations and organizational effectiveness for the airport’s diverse workforce. Reporting to the JFK GM and DGM, and the Manager of Business Solutions at Aviation headquarters, the Principal Business Manager will be responsible for managing a wide range of Aviation, Human Resources and Administrative functions for JFK.
The selected individual will lead and supervise a centralized team of staff in the performance of all administrative, business support, and clerical functions for the airport’s 500+ represented and non-represented positions.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead efforts with unit supervisors and division managers to fill vacancies expeditiously with qualified individuals
- Prepare, review, and edit job bulletins
- Coordinate the interview process for all vacancies
- Actively manage vacancies and other position related matters through coordination with HR and the Aviation Director's Office
- Provide Executive staff at the airport and the Aviation Director's office with measurable updates on all position management matters
- Provide an optimal level of service on all airport business and administrative functions, including all HR policies, processes, procedures, and correspondence
- Manage the following: performance, travel, equipment, board process, special events/functions, invoice payment, employee programs, etc.
- Provide guidance and policy interpretation to airport staff on all business and administrative matters
- Lead and oversee all business management, clerical, timekeeping, and office support staff at the airport, managing workload and performance, and promoting an efficient, effective, and cohesive work environment in support of the airport's business priorities
- Provide strategic and analytical support to the Manager, Business Solutions, Executive Business Manager and division managers on a wide range of policy, Human Resources, and administrative matters
- Serve as the EEO Complaint Representative for the facility and handle all employee relations and EEO related issues for the airport, in partnership with the Aviation Director’s Office, Human Resources, and Labor Relations
- Prepare and manage General Manager's Office budget
- Assist in the preparation the overall airport budget
- Prepare all documentation and justifications for staffing-related budget requests
- Track spending for the GM's office and review variances on a quarterly basis, including monitoring overtime spending and mitigation
- Oversee staff who are responsible for preparing the quarterly business travel plan, coordinating special events, staff recognition programs, and training programs
- Handling procurement and timekeeping duties
- Managing the airport’s petty cash fund
- Preparing authorizations for Port Authority Board approval and supporting documents to ensure that all facility items are prepared accurately and in accordance with Aviation Department and Port Authority schedules and procedures
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- At least ten years increasingly responsible experience managing administrative, human resources, or other business processes with a minimum of 60 college credits from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university may substitute five years of related experience as noted above
- Leadership experience, demonstrated by managing, developing and motivating diverse teams
- Knowledge and ability to manage and apply organizational policies and procedures, including those related to administration, human resources, budgeting and payment authorization processes
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Supervisory / managerial experience related to both non-represented and represented staff
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, organize a demanding workload and manage multiple tasks within tight timeframes
- Demonstrated analytical skills, including the ability to interpret and analyze researched data and procedure statistical reports and charts
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with all levels of staff
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and writing
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Direct experience using PeopleSoft, SAP and BudgetPro
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of NY & NJ builds, operates, and maintains critical transportation and trade assets. Its networks of aviation, rail, surface transportation and seaport facilities annually moves millions of people and transports vital cargo through the New York/New Jersey region. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, home to the iconic One World Trade Center.
The Port Authority of NY & NJ operates the world’s busiest airport system – John F. Kennedy International (JFK), Newark Liberty International (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA), Stewart International (SWF) and Teterboro (TEB) airports. Our airports produce revenues of $2.4 billion and are staffed by more than 1,500 aviation professionals.
The mission of the Aviation department is to plan, develop, provide, promote, operate and maintain a unified system of safe and secure regional airport facilities, providing the region with unsurpassed global access and restoring the region to its preeminent status as the nation’s gateway for passengers and cargo and to do so with sensitively for the community and the environment.
In 2016, the agency’s airports handled more than 130+ million passengers and 2 million tons of cargo. Some of the major current capital projects include:
- LaGuardia Airport Redevelopment, which will transform LGA into a unified airport with a main terminal, better transportation access with a future AirTrain, more taxiways and best-in-class passenger amenities
- Newark Liberty International will be set a new standard for air travel with the redevelopment of Terminal A, and additional updated projects related to Airfield, Parking Garage systems and the redesigning of Landside / Roadways
- John F. Kennedy International’s Redevelopment will focus on an interconnected terminal layout, redesign of on-airport traffic patterns, expanded taxiways, world-class amenities and state-of-the-arte security technology
Join our Talent Network: www.JoinThePortAuthority.com
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.