This job posting is no longer active.
Reporting to the Senior Engineer of Construction (EOC), the Senior Resident Engineer will be responsible for the day-to-day management of all construction contracts being performed in concert with the JFK Visioning Program and the upcoming Design-Build contracts for the replacements of various substations at JFK.
The Senior Resident Engineer, will act as the Lead Engineer Architect (LEA) for Stage IV design and construction and oversee the schedule and budget in adherence to the contracted scope. Managing the day-to-day contractor activities will include coordination with Facility Operations, monitoring construction inspections, and performing contract administration procedures to assure that construction is completed within budget and the contractual schedule, and that construction is performed safely and in accordance with all approved documents. In addition, the Senior Resident Engineer will perform constructability reviews for all projects involving JFK Visioning and/or Design Build.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervising a staff of Engineers, Inspectors and Administrators who assure the overall quality of the installed product.
- Monitoring contractor adherence to plans, specifications and approved shop drawings; assuring construction methods are properly coordinated with Facility Operations and are performed safely; administering contracts within PA standards; investigating construction problems and determining the need for extra work.
- Representing the Senior Engineer of Construction during their absence in facilitating office correspondence, including, but not limited to, contract changes, approving contractors’ work and verifying payment applications, reviewing daily narratives and special inspection reports.
- As the Stage IV Lead Engineer Architect (LEA), responsible for overall construction schedule and Stage IV staff and construction budget expenditures including approval of payments to contractors, the negotiation of change orders and the settlement of potential contractor claims.
- Managing Design Build Contracts to insure all prescriptive requirements are being met while prioritizing project delivery and schedule conformance.
- Reporting regularly on construction project status to the Senior Engineer of Construction and Executive staff members, as requested.
- Following and enforcing Construction Management Division’s administrative procedures and policies.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Must have at least eight (8) years of construction management experience at the time of appointment to the position, including three (3) years’ experience as an Assistant Resident Engineer or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated satisfactory experience managing a staff of Engineers and Construction professionals as an Assistant Resident Engineer.
- Must possess a Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Architecture from an accredited college or university.
- Must be a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect in New York or New Jersey and/or be Certified Construction Manager (CCM).
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of Construction Management strategies, processes and procedures; especially in roadway/bridge construction and airport related work.
- Experience in the management of design-build contracts is desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills as evidenced from experience in managing and settling contractor disputes.
- Demonstrated experience of monitoring actual expenditures and schedules against budgets and forecasts.
- Demonstrated experience supervising and coordinating construction projects at active facilities.
- Demonstrated experience managing a team of consultants.
- Demonstrated knowledge of WINTRAK
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.