The Aviation Department of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is currently seeking an experienced Manager, Airport Operations, John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) to drive a world-class customer experience through an integrated governance model that includes strong partnerships with JFK airport stakeholders and the surrounding communities.
Reporting to the General Manager, JFK, the Manager, Airport Operations is responsible for the management and strategic oversight of the JFK Operations Division. The Manager, Airport Operations will also ensure the airport is operated in a safe, secure, and efficient manner, in compliance with federal, state, and local laws/regulations, and in a financially sound manner. This role will also oversee the development and implementation of appropriate plans to ensure operational activities are resilient and meet the existing and future needs of customers and key stakeholders for business resumption and continuity.
The Manager, Airport Operations is directly responsible for leading / overseeing the following functions: Aeronautical Operations, Landside Operations, Airport Operations Center, Customer Service, Transportation Services, and Parking Operations. The position interfaces frequently with the Security Department, ARFF, Port Authority Police Department, and Maintenance Division to ensure a safe, secure, and compliant operation with regard to CFR Part 139 and TSR Part 1542.
Safe, Secure and Resilient Operations
- Provide vision and active leadership over development and execution of high quality airport customer service to meet the needs of air passengers and partners.
- Lead Airport Operations to protect the welfare and needs of customers and employees.
- Ensure successful execution of a comprehensive landside operations and customer experience program, and compliance with regulatory requirements for aeronautical operations.
- Lead efforts with airport staff and Aviation headquarters to establish goal-driven management plans to ensure compliance with federal regulations (Transportation Security Administration, Federal Aviation Administration, Customs & Border Protection).
Stakeholder and Partnership Management
- Provide vision and active leadership over airport operations, customer experience, growth and development through strong internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders including federal agencies, airlines, terminal operators, cargo companies, tenants, customers, media, elected officials, and community organizations to advance the airport’s business agenda and provide a safe, reliable, world-class experience to customers.
- Lead Operations staff in achieving financial success by managing facility operating expenses and overtime within budget guidelines.
- Ensure a culture of financial accountability demonstrated by regular reviews of operating units’ contracts and all overtime practices.
Leadership and Talent Management
- Optimize staff capabilities and ensure the continuity of the airport's agenda by building a highly talented, flexible, nimble workforce.
- Provide vision and leadership to staff to advance priorities consistent with departmental and agency objectives.
- Clearly and regularly communicate the airport’s vision and mission and provide meaningful and challenging developmental assignments, mentoring, classroom and on-the-job training, proper equipment and resources, and effective communication, coordination, and collaboration among internal and external stakeholders.
Irregular Operations and Airport Emergencies
- Lead efforts with all airport stakeholders to prepare plans for and manage irregular operations and airport emergencies (i.e., inclement weather, infrastructure failures, security incidents etc.).
- The incumbent must be available 24/7 to respond to airport emergencies such as aircraft accidents, snowstorms, natural disasters, security-related and other incidents requiring the presence of senior leadership.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Aviation, Transportation, Planning, Engineering, Business, Public Administration, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in aviation, transportation, operations or related business field in a large, complex operating environment.
- Strong leadership capability, demonstrated through the ability to manage, develop and motivate diverse teams to achieve high performance.
- Ability to report immediately to airport emergencies, inclusive of inclement weather or other irregular operations, 24 hours per day, seven days per week
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university
- AAAE Certified Member (C.M.) or Accredited Airport Executive (A.A.E) certification, or ICAO International Airport Professional (IAP) certification
- Demonstrated relevant regulatory and operational experience
- Demonstrated experience in managing diverse teams of staff in a unionized work environment
- Knowledge of Airport Rules and Regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with all levels of internal and external stakeholders including air carriers, tenants, vendors, and third party contractors
- Knowledge of continually changing Federal and State regulations related to airline operations, airfield operations, Federal Aviation Administration and air traffic procedures, coupled with an understanding of the National Airspace System
- Ability to develop methods of complying with regulatory requirements given cost and resource constraints
- Though knowledge of the Airport Certification and Safety standards and the ability to enforce regulatory standards
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of NY & NJ builds, operates, and maintains critical transportation and trade assets. Its networks of aviation, rail, surface transportation and seaport facilities annually moves millions of people and transports vital cargo through the New York/New Jersey region. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, home to the iconic One World Trade Center.
The Port Authority of NY & NJ operates the world’s busiest airport system – John F. Kennedy International (JFK), Newark Liberty International (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA), Stewart International (SWF) and Teterboro (TEB) airports. Our airports produce revenues of $2.4 billion and are staffed by more than 1,500 aviation professionals.
The mission of the Aviation department is to plan, develop, provide, promote, operate and maintain a unified system of safe and secure regional airport facilities, providing the region with unsurpassed global access and restoring the region to its preeminent status as the nation’s gateway for passengers and cargo and to do so with sensitively for the community and the environment.
In 2016, the agency’s airports handled more than 130 million passengers and 2 million tons of cargo. Some of the major current capital projects include:
LaGuardia Airport Redevelopment, which will transform LGA into a unified airport with a main terminal, better transportation access with a future AirTrain, more taxiways and best-in-class passenger amenities
Newark Liberty International will be set a new standard for air travel with the redevelopment of Terminal A, and additional updated projects related to Airfield, Parking Garage systems and the redesigning of Landside / Roadways
John F. Kennedy International’s Redevelopment will focus on an interconnected terminal layout, redesign of on-airport traffic patterns, expanded taxiways, world-class amenities and state-of-the-arte security technology
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.