The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s Aviation Department’s is seeking an Aviation Commercial Officer to lead its Properties and Commercial Development organization.
The Aviation Commercial Officer will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of commercial operations for our five airport system, including Properties and Commercial Development, Airport Concessions, Transportation and Revenue Programs, and Cargo Programs. The commercial development organization is the primary driver of the department’s $2.5 billion in revenue, which includes fixed rentals, activity-based revenue (such as public parking), and cost recovery agreements with airlines. This position will lead negotiations and relationships with our airport partners to significantly improve our airports’ standing among world class airports while ensuring that the department achieves its revenue objectives. Through the strategic execution of lease agreements, the candidate will be responsible for ensuring that all agreements contain key performance indicators, service level agreements, and reflect a governance structure that ensures an optimal, integrated operating model for our airports.
Properties and Commercial Development
- Lead and oversee the development of lease negotiation strategies that maximize return on investment at Newark Liberty, JFK, LaGuardia, and Stewart Airports. Manage commercial component of airline and major business partner relationships consistent with a smoothly functioning operational environment, including major terminal redevelopment efforts at JFK and LaGuardia airports. Utilize lease agreements to advance customer experience, governance, and operating strategies and priorities. Oversee all negotiations to reach execution of new leases across the airport system. Develop space utilization plans in support of the department’s land use planning goals and implement courses of action on major policy issues relating to audit compliance, accounts receivable, lease administration, and business development.
- Lead and organize the Concessions Program for all concessions including food and beverage, retail, advertising, sponsorships, passenger services, on-airport and off-airport rental cars, off-airport parking, and other ancillary concessions for the Port Authority’s airport network. Optimize revenues and create alignment with the Aviation Business Plan and other agency objectives. Develop strategic plans including recommendations for building and enhancing the concessions program. Actively monitor and evaluate the Concession Program’s financial and customer service performance and appearance to ensure vendors and service providers meet the Port Authority’s high standards of customer service excellence.
Transportation and Revenue Programs
- Oversee a comprehensive parking and ground transportation management program across the Port Authority’s airport system, including the implementation of a new parking access and revenue control system. Support airport access objectives of operational efficiency, enhanced customer service, and increased revenues. Ensure that current and future unit contracts and permits support overall departmental strategies for effectively managing and maximizing revenue from parking and ground transportation, as well as ensuring that contracts are aligned with airport and departmental policies and goals. Ensure that contracts and initiatives are adaptable to meet changes in the airport ground transportation and parking industries, and maximize revenue generation opportunities created thereby.
- Oversee cargo revenue management, cargo planning, and cargo capacity analysis for a cargo program that generates $120 million in revenue. Define future potential markets and implement a strategic market expansion strategy, identify growth markets, and ensure correct market focus. Allocate resources to enable future agency growth in a new cargo portfolio of international partners and global customers, including airline cargo teams and freight forwarders. Shape and advance the air cargo agenda for the Aviation Department and the development and implementation of an air cargo business/marketing plan.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Law, Economics, or a related field from an accredited college or university
- At least 15 years of experience in negotiating and administering real estate or concession contracts; managing in a corporate or public finance environment; or an equivalent combination of related experience
- Significant, progressively responsible experience at an executive level capacity, preferably working for a large, complex organization in real estate, transportation, or a related industry
- Strong leadership capability, with the ability to manage, develop, and motivate staff
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, manage conflict, build consensus, and facilitate problem solving and collaboration among various stakeholders
- Demonstrated executive-level experience in negotiations, contract administration and management
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated experience successfully directing all aspects of commercial strategic planning
- Demonstrated acumen in capital project management, redevelopment, and construction
- Broad policy and/or program design development
- Demonstrated customer experience focus
- Excellent decision making, problem solving, conflict negotiation, and communication skills
- Skill in developing market analyses to assess prospective new development
- Ability to develop a strategic vision and comprehensive plans and objectives for complex business and real property negotiations and leasing agreements
- Knowledge of airport concessions, ACDBE programs, commercial development projects at airports, including planning, project scope definition, and airline/airport operations
- Knowledge of the commercial development real estate industry, including finance principles and the ability to apply these principles in analyzing business proposals
- Experience interacting with multiple governmental agencies and officials with potentially significant divergent views
- Background in airport operations with an emphasis on financial and economic analysis
- Proven track record to perform effectively under pressure and to resolve conflict constructively
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the workforce at all levels as well as external constituents
- High level of integrity and dependability with ability to think on both a strategic and tactical level to develop long-term achievable plans
- Knowledge of aviation industry, including global logistics, air freight and cargo, and property management
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has retained the services of executive search firm, Krauthamer & Associates, Inc.
Interested applicants must apply directly to: Gregg Moser, Managing Principal at Krauthamer & Associates Inc.: GMoser@KrauthamerInc.com or contact directly at (301) 654-7533.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.