The Aviation Department of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is currently seeking an experienced leader to be the Program Director for all aspects related to the development and maintenance of the new LaGuardia AirTrain.
Reporting to the Director of Aviation and the Chief Development Officer, the Program Director, AirTrain will be responsible for the overall leadership and oversight of the planning, environmental review, procurement, and all other pre-construction activities relating to a new AirTrain system at LaGuardia (LGA) Airport, connecting the airport to an existing transportation hub at Willets Point. The selected candidate may also potentially oversee the construction and implementation of the project.
The Program Director will be responsible for all aspects of the AirTrain LGA Program, including, but not limited to:
- Develop a comprehensive program that meets the needs of patrons, airlines, airport service providers, consistent with the long range needs of the airport and the region
- Develop business and operating models for the proposed program in coordination with Aviation Properties, Finance, Operations and Maintenance units
- Manage and oversee all aspects of program/project delivery, including the development of Procurement documents, oversight of the Procurement process, delivery of environmental and other necessary permits, quality project management plans, project/program reporting and development of corrective action plans
- Lead negotiations with airport tenants, staff departments, local, city and state agencies, utility companies, and off-airport entities required to support the Program; Manage strong relationships with all partners throughout all stages of the Program
- Analyze project risk and complexity and develop procurement strategies to achieve delivery and performance of the Program
- Implement productivity and process improvements that reduced costs and order delivery of time of the program
- Ensure world-class service, quality, and increased customer satisfaction through oversight of project implementation, including assurance of collaboration and coordination among all stakeholders and mitigation of facility operational impacts
- Lead, develop and motivate staff to ensure the highest level of staff capabilities aligned with best industry project management practices.
- Ensure appropriate resource allocation and establish performance measures for all staff
- Coordinate with both PA internal and external stakeholders to obtain approvals/agreements necessary for the successful implementation of the program
- Anticipate issues of concern, strategize potential resolution, chart the course, identify resources, lead implementation and delivery processes, and keep executive management staff abreast
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Architecture, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 10 years progressive senior-level project and program management experience in complex, transportation infrastructure projects
- Experience planning, organizing and directing complex construction projects and activities, with significant project management and planning experience
- Experience in increasingly responsible managerial positions, including managing, motivating and developing a diverse, multi-disciplinary staff
- Leadership experience with a background in managing, developing and motivating staff
- Experience in effectively persuading, influencing and negotiating with individuals at all levels of the organization to achieve desired outcomes.
- Experience working in a cross-functional and multi-disciplinary environment
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Master's Degree in Engineering or Architecture from an accredited college or university
- Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RE) license in New York or New Jersey
- Knowledge of airline industry business and operating practices
- Strong results orientation, creativity, and ability to think outside the box, particularly in designing approaches to streamline the project schedule
- Demonstrated success in navigating a complex organization’s structure, policies and procedures
- Demonstrated experience organizing a demanding workload with the ability to work in a high pressure environment with multiple tasks due in a tight timeframe
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability in dealing effectively with Executive level staff, both internally and externally
- Demonstrated ability to establish comprehensive, detailed plans with specific timelines, milestones, and deliverables necessary to meet or exceed project goals
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse groups such as tenants, contractors, vendors, government, and industry officials
- Demonstrated ability to interact with internal and external senior executives, governmental agencies, and the community in situations where the communication skills of persuasion, negotiation, conflict resolution, and formal oral presentation are used
- Familiarity with external utility providers and governmental agencies
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of NY & NJ builds, operates, and maintains critical transportation and trade assets. Its networks of aviation, rail, surface transportation and seaport facilities annually moves millions of people and transports vital cargo through the New York/New Jersey region. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, home to the iconic One World Trade Center.
The Port Authority of NY & NJ operates the world’s busiest airport system – John F. Kennedy International (JFK), Newark Liberty International (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA), Stewart International (SWF) and Teterboro (TEB) airports. Our airports produce revenues of $2.4 billion and are staffed by more than 1,500 aviation professionals.
The mission of the Aviation department is to plan, develop, provide, promote, operate and maintain a unified system of safe and secure regional airport facilities, providing the region with unsurpassed global access and restoring the region to its preeminent status as the nation’s gateway for passengers and cargo and to do so with sensitively for the community and the environment.
In 2016, the agency’s airports handled more than 130 million passengers and 2 million tons of cargo. Some of the major current capital projects include:
- LaGuardia Airport Redevelopment, which will transform LGA into a unified airport with a main terminal, better transportation access with a future AirTrain, more taxiways and best-in-class passenger amenities
- Newark Liberty International will be set a new standard for air travel with the redevelopment of Terminal A, and additional updated projects related to Airfield, Parking Garage systems and the redesigning of Landside / Roadways
- John F. Kennedy International’s Redevelopment will focus on an interconnected terminal layout, redesign of on-airport traffic patterns, expanded taxiways, world-class amenities and state-of-the-arte security technology