This job posting is no longer active.
Reporting to the Assistant Chief Engineer, Quality Assurance Division and under the direct supervision of the Manager, Structural Integrity, the successful candidate will manage condition survey inspection projects of Waterfront Structures and other structures, as well as manage the response to and assist in evaluating immediate structural deficiencies at assigned Port Authority facilities. In addition, this individual will perform reviews of condition survey reports and biennial bridge inspection reports. The selected candidate will be handling multiple projects as a Project Manager and will also manage Task Leaders assigned to those projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the response to Immediate Actions.
- Call on Department and Agency resources and deploy the Immediate Repairs Contractor as necessary to respond to the Immediate Action.
- Assure resolution of the Immediate Actions and continuation of Facility operation.
- Report on the details of the action taken.
Condition Survey Program
- Collaborate with other Quality Assurance Division Managers to prepare annual Quality Assurance Division budgets for Condition Surveys for Line Department and Facility approval.
- Allocate projects to consultants and in-house staff within the guidelines established by the Procurement Department.
- Develop RFPs and Attachment A for Condition Survey Projects.
- Manage the RFP process and negotiate fees for Task Order consultant assignments.
- Review aspects of the Condition Survey field inspection and report preparation.
- Advance projects through the SAP process.
- Assure assigned projects meets budget and scheduling goals.
- Review Condition Survey Estimates.
- Provide guidance for consultant management and facility liaison.
- Assist in the management of staff and consultants directly and through directives to subordinates.
- Complete QA/QC responsibilities.
- Complete special assignments under the direction of the Manager, Structural Integrity.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Possess a Bachelors degree in Structural or Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Fifteen (15) or more years’ experience in structural or civil engineering including participation in the inspection, construction or design of various types of structures with eight years of specific condition inspection experience.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, engineering design and/or construction fields including the preparation of reports and construction documents, setting priorities, scheduling and budgetary control.
- Ability to be on-call 24/7 to respond to emergency structural situations.
- Possess valid driver’s license.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Experience with the condition inspection, design or construction of Waterfront Structures (berths, piers, wharfs, etc.) preferred.
- Familiarity with New York and New Jersey states requirements for biennial inspection of bridges, FHWA/New York/New Jersey requirements for tunnel inspection and familiarity with various other codes including AASHTO specifications.
- Ability to assess inspection findings, effectively reach a sound conclusion and recommend repairs.
- Proficiency and effectiveness in written and oral communication skills.
- Be physically fit to climb various types of structures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels.
- Self-motivated and experienced in working in a team environment.
- Professional Engineering license.
- Completion of Bridge Inspection Training Courses: NHI 130055 (Safety Inspection of In-Service Bridges), NHI 130053 Bridge Inspection Refresher or NYSDOT Bridge Inspection Workshop.Familiarity with NYSDOT Flagging procedure, BDIS and COMBIS.
- Proficient in the use of various computer programs such as Microsoft Office, AUTOCAD, etc.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.