This job posting is no longer active.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer in the Engineering/Architecture Design Division of the Engineering Department, you will be reporting to a Principal Mechanical Engineer and be responsible for performing the preparation of mechanical engineering studies, contract drawings, technical specifications, and construction cost estimates; evaluate project scopes, develop design criteria, budgets for design services, and design schedules; provide technical advice and assistance to facility and other PA personnel in matters related to mechanical engineering; audit mechanical engineering designs performed by consultants; lead project teams in the preparation of mechanical engineering designs including preparation of request for proposals (RFP), design coordination, status reporting, schedule reporting, budget reporting, and brief senior staff. The mechanical engineering designs include, but not be limited to, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and central heating and refrigeration plants (CHRPS) for buildings and structures at various Port Authority facilities.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Proactively act as Project Lead Engineer (LEA) for complex projects
- Preparing proposals and project change proposals
- Negotiating schedule and design fee with Project Managers
- Tracking and reporting on schedule and budget compliance. Taking corrective actions as necessary
- Perform all project delivery process requirements
- Coordinate design and project delivery with other disciplines
- Partnering with the Project Manager in preparing Board Items and providing technical briefing on projects
- Performing design services with nominal supervision for complex projects
- Preparing scope, schedule, budget, and staffing requirements
- Performing studies, evaluations and preliminary designs that are accurate and complete within the optimal budgets and schedules
- Preparing contract documents within the optimal budgets and schedules
- Resolving design issues creatively and thoroughly coordinating design with other disciplines
- Identifying opportunities for innovation and making recommendations that are supported by the analysis and are consistent with code and good engineering practice as well as the Quality Control Program
- Reviewing shop drawings and submittals within schedule and resolving difficult field issues in a timely manner
- Preparing internal and external memorandums, e-mails, and technical reports
- Managing and auditing design services performed by consultants for complex projects including preparing RFP scope and independent cost estimate, critically reviewing consultant proposals, negotiating cost, ensuring schedule/budget compliance, auditing scope conformance and quality, minimizing in-house auditing costs, and reviewing consultant performance
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of seven (7) years diversified experience in the design of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems for commercial and industrial buildings as well as transportation facilities, central heating and refrigeration plants, and thermal distribution systems
- Working knowledge of New York State, New York City and New Jersey Building and Mechanical codes
- Direct experience in the preparation of contract drawings, technical specifications and detailed construction cost estimates
- Proficient in the use of various computer programs such as HVAC load calculations, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and AutoCAD
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Masters Degree from an accredited college or university
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer in the State of New York or New Jersey
- LEED certitifcation
- Proficiency and effectiveness in written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working independently and handles simultaneous projects and complex tasks under tight deadlines
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and prioritize multiple assignments with multiple disciplines
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, negotiations and conflict resolution skills to effectively reach sound conclusions and recommendations
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.