This job posting is no longer active.
The Port Authority offers 12-week paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency.
The Tunnels, Bridges and Terminals department is looking for a summer intern to join their team in the Priority Capital Programs - Bayonne Bridge Clearance Program unit! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing procurement processes to acquire resources for the community and historical preservation aspects of the project
- Supporting operations that require coordination between construction and facility staff
- Documenting project status through assisting with the creation of executive status reports and other tracking reports
- Managing project communications, including creating content for use in various Port Authority-sponsored social media/publications, and archiving construction related project documents and media
- Preparing materials to support internal/external presentations and other public facing/community outreach related events
- Supporting other project tasks as needed
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program majoring for the upcoming Fall 2018 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Superior oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels as well as outside agencies and industry representatives
- Expert time management skills and ability to set specific timelines and deliverables to achieve goals
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated experience with computer software programs, particularly the Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
Ideal candidates will present the following competencies in addition to the above:
- Familiarity with planning concepts
- Familiarity with engineering and construction practices
About the Program
- Interns have the opportunity to support their departments with critical projects such as analyzing regional demand data for our airports, conducting interview assessments, development of our annual budget, designing sustainability initiatives, and developing operational plans for retail development.
- Engineering Interns have the opportunity to assist experienced engineers with planning, design, construction management and supervision, materials testing and inspection, and information technology management for projects.
- On the job, learning is supported by networking sessions with senior management, intern meet and greets and facility tours; broadening your understanding of the agency.
How To Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is February 19, 2018; 11:59 p.m. EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
Interview Process: The hiring department/unit conducts interviews in late February and the process will continue until offers are made to selected candidates (March-May).
Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin June 1, 2018 and runs until mid-August.
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience
About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.