This job posting is no longer active.
The Port Authority offers 12-week paid summer internships to students that provide the opportunity to work with knowledgeable and experienced professionals on assignments critical to operating, maintaining, and expanding the transportation infrastructure for one of the greatest economies in the world.
Assignments include hands-on projects to cultivate technical, writing, communication and team-building skills. The diversity of our businesses creates a variety of opportunities for students to gain exposure to the work of a first-class public agency
The Tunnels, Bridges and Terminals department is looking for a summer intern to join their team in the Customer Services unit! Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in preparation of responses to customer inquiries
- Prepare templates and standardized language for consistent responses to customers
- Conduct research on opportunities for improved customer communication
- Develop and publish departmental customer service newsletter
- Develop, review, and update external website content
- Partner with TB&T staff to update department Intranet site
- Attend and assist with preparation for customer service-related events as needed, including Port Authority Bus Terminal Commuter Chat Program and National Customer Service Week Program
Customer Service Tracking
- Review and develop metrics
- Provide insight and assistance in improving tracking system
- Provide input on development of formalized Customer Relationship Management software
Best Practices Research
- Research customer service best practices in both public and private industries
- Prepare and present white paper with recommendations for improvements to TB&T Customer Services unit
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate program for the upcoming Fall 2018 school semester.
- We are seeking interns who are talented, driven and who have a genuine interest in contributing to the success of the New York/New Jersey region.
- We welcome applications from a diverse range of University disciplines and concentrations.
- Successful candidates will be self-starters with excellent communication, research and applicable technical skills.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Major in Communications/English/Journalism/Public Relations/Marketing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Initiative to propose, develop, and own projects
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Interest in technology-based customer service solutions
- Excellent organizational skills
About the Program
- Interns have the opportunity to support their departments with critical projects such as analyzing regional demand data for our airports, conducting interview assessments, development of our annual budget, designing sustainability initiatives, and developing operational plans for retail development.
- ngineering Interns have the opportunity to assist experienced engineers with planning, design, construction management and supervision, materials testing and inspection, and information technology management for projects.
- On the job, learning is supported by networking sessions with senior management, intern meet and greets and facility tours; broadening your understanding of the agency.
How To Apply
- To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- Please be sure to complete all steps of the application process and click Submit at the end.
- Applicants will receive a generated confirmation email upon application completion.
- To be considered for the position you must respond to the essay question below.
- All applicants must answer all prompted questions and essay.
- Please upload your response and resume as one document in the section of the online. application that prompts you to upload your resume.
- Your essay response cannot exceed 150 words.
Applications that do not include a resume and essay response will be considered incomplete and will not be moved forward in the selection process.
Essay Question: Why do you want to work as a Summer Intern for the Port Authority of NY & NJ?
The application deadline is February 19, 2018; 11:59 p.m. EST. You will not be able to apply after this date.
- Interview Process: The hiring department/unit conducts interviews in late February and the process will continue until offers are made to selected candidates (March-May).
- Program Start Date: The Summer Internship Program is slated to begin June 1, 2018 and runs until mid-August.
The Selection Process:
- Please note that more than one department may contact students to interview.
- Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
- Interns are selected based on academic achievement, analytical and communication skills, and work experience
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.