This job posting is no longer active.
The JFK Redevelopment Program is responsible for planning and delivering a world class airport that will meet the growing needs of the region in 2050, when JFK is expected to handle 100M annual passengers. To accommodate that growth, JFK’s terminals, associated apron, roads, bridges, utilities and parking, as well as the infrastructure, including AirTrain system, cargo facilities and aircraft fueling will need to be assessed and modernized/reconstructed. The components of the Redevelopment Program will be planned, designed and constructed by a combination of various consultant and contractors procured through traditional and innovative procurement methods. The incumbent will assume responsibility as the principal liaison between the Redevelopment Program and General Manager’s Office (GMO), while providing supervision and guidance to PA and consultant project staff charged with planning and delivering various aspects of the Redevelopment Program.
Reporting to the Program Director, JFK Redevelopment, the Program Manager, Strategic Planning & Policy is a critical member of JFK’s leadership team, serving as a key business ally with diverse responsibilities, including serving as a policy advisor to the General Manager and his Deputy on organizational matters, assisting in decision-making through information and briefings, and attending senior-level meetings to establish courses of action, guiding principles or procedures that are prudent or advantageous to JFK’s business.
The selected candidate will oversee the Program’s initiatives to ensure consistency between the Vision Plan, Aviation Business Plan and alignment with the airport’s capital planning and operating budget processes by serving as the principal liaison between JFK Redevelopment, GMO and other departments, preparing and reviewing internal and external communications, developing briefing documents and presentations, coordinating staff work across multiple divisions and units, and interacting with staff involved in Board process administration.
The selected candidate will be responsible for oversight of several airport-wide business programs, policies, and processes including:
- Strategic Planning: Ensure the success and continuity of strategic Redevelopment initiatives through the lifecycle of planning, implementation, monitoring, and performance enhancement. Serve as a senior policy analyst for Redevelopment/GMO on organizational matters, assisting in decision-making through information and briefings, and attending senior-level meetings to establish courses of action, guiding principles or procedures that are prudent or advantageous to Aviation and JFK’ s business.
- Align the Airport Redevelopment Program: Advise Airport Staff, particularly those in Operations and Maintenance, on recommended courses of action necessary to effectuate initiatives designed to balance the needs and priorities of the Program with the demands of operating the airport, while maintaining high customer service levels. Apply knowledge of agency policies and procedures to ensure authorization requests and operational plans are swiftly carried out.
- JFK’s Board Process & By-Law Authorization Process: Provide oversight and management of the board process in support of JFK’s priorities including airport redevelopment programs, capital projects, leases, and professional and technical services agreements. Establish and communicate clear requirements for staff advancing Agenda Items to ensure the Department meets internal and external deadlines and effectively advances its business priorities.
- Administration of JFK’s By-Law Authorization: Coordinate with central office staff, and well as internal business partners (MBD, Procurement, Law, OFA, OSEC, Real Estate, Engineering, etc.) to successfully execute By-Law Authorization Documents. Monitor JFK’s contract log and leverage knowledge of agency policies to efficiently authorize recommendations and advise staff on the best course of action.
- Business Planning and Performance Measurement: Lead information gathering from all divisions in order to produce and support key deliverables to JFK’s annual Business Plan, Capital Plan and annual operating budget contributions. Oversee efforts to develop, update, and monitor JFK’s portfolio of critical business needs consistent with the annual Aviation Department Business Plan and other department-wide reports.
- Manage communications from senior airport staff with all internal/external stakeholders, the Aviation Department and Executive staff. Coordinate all community outreach and site tours including preparations of speeches and presentations.
The Program Manager, Strategic Planning & Policy directly supervises a team of three airport business managers and administrative staff that are responsible for the day-to-day management of the airport administrative process, absence control, and key initiative tracking.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Policy, or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of three (3) years work experience in policy, business analysis, program management, or administration.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Substantive knowledge of Port Authority policies and procedures related to project management systems, administration, the capital authorization and agenda review processes and document control.
- Knowledge of the Aviation industry including the implementation of the Aviation Business and Capital Plan including the budgeting process.
- Proven ability to develop intricate program and project strategies to achieve business goals and to understand their impact on various stakeholder within and outside the Port Authority.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse groups such as tenants, contractors, vendors, government, and industry officials.
- Demonstrated ability to devise and implement innovative and creative solutions to problems and issues relative to the responsibilities of the Division.
- Demonstrated experience with developing strategies to achieve broad business goals and understanding the impact on various stakeholders within and outside the PA, particularly to interface with and negotiate amongst multiple external stakeholders to resolve conflicts.
- Recognized leadership qualities in the guidance of Staff Departments efforts to deliver program and project objectives.
- Demonstrated experience planning, organizing and directing concurrent and complex construction projects and activities, with significant project management and planning experience.
- Demonstrated experience organizing a demanding workload with the ability to work in a high pressure environment with multiple tasks due in a tight timeframe.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability in dealing effectively with Executive level staff both internally and externally.
- Expert knowledge of Port Authority policies and procedures related to the Board Authorization process (Agenda Items, MJs and MAs).
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical and decision making skills.
- Proven ability to manage and supervise others to effectuate program workload effectively utilizing limited available resources.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Finance.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Knowledge of airline industry business and operating practices.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
About The Port Authority
The Aviation Department of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is currently seeking an experienced Program Manager of Strategic Planning & Policy to oversee the JFK Redevelopment program initiatives and ensure consistency and alignment with the airport’s Capital Planning/Operation budget. You will act as the liaison between the Program and other departments.
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency’s network of aviation facilities, which consist of John F. Kennedy (JFK), Newark Liberty International (EWR), LaGuardia (LGA), Stewart International (SWF) and Teterboro (TEB) airports, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, which is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
The Aviation department mission is to develop, provide, promote, maintain and enhance a unified system of safe and secure regional airport facilities, providing the region with unsurpassed global access and restoring the region to its preeminent status as the nation’s gateway for passengers and cargo, and to do so with sensitivity for the community and the environment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.